Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Tin Can Robots Craft for Kids to Keep Busy When You Need It

Click here to read Tin Can Robots Craft for Kids to Keep Busy When You Need It on Hands On As We Grow®


These tin can robots activity can (will!) keep the kids busy when you need it.

Yes, it does require a little bit of prep work but once done, it can be used over and over again! Continue reading to learn more about this tin can craft robot that has a punch of fun and learning!

easy magnetic tin can robot for kids

Go Ahead & Find Small Random Objects You Have Lying Around

The first thing to do is find some small random (preferably smooth on at least one side) objects for robot parts. I raided my craft bins and asked my husband for some nuts, bolts, and washers.

Kids could help as you go on a scavenger hunt for items, but I decided to do this on my own. Below are some of the items I collected.

  • pom-poms
  • smooth decorative stones
  • nuts
  • bolts
  • washers
  • smooth buttons
  • puzzle pieces
  • bottle caps
  • googly eyes

(As a side note, these objects could be a choking hazard for young ones. Always be sure to use supervision and know your child’s habits.)

Collection of assorted small items to use to make tin can robots

These items could also be used to make this junk robot!

Gather These Needed Supplies to Make Tin Can Robots

Besides the random assortment of objects, I also grabbed the following supplies.

  • magnets (I used these and these)
  • hot glue gun with hot glue sticks
  • tin cans (I used spaghetti sauce cans I grabbed from my cupboard and removed the labels from them. I decided to use unopened cans, so I didn’t have to worry about sharp edges. Before putting them back in the cupboard, I wrote “spaghetti sauce” on the tops in permanent marker.)

Sidenote: If you decide to use opened tin cans, you can tape around the cut edge to keep little fingers from getting hurt.

Prepare the Magnets

Next, I stuck the magnets on to a tin can to make sure there wasn’t a “right” and “wrong” side to the magnets.

While you have the magnets out, try this magnetic marble maze too!

It didn’t matter for the small magnets, but the self-adhesive magnets would only stick on the side with the exposed magnet (which I had figured).

Then, I glued the small magnets to some of the random objects. We used the self-adhesive magnets for the larger, heavier objects since those magnets were stronger.

The self-adhesive magnets are great for kids. My daughters could peel and stick those magnets on to objects while I hot glued the other items.

As we attached the magnets, I put them on a tin can so the pieces weren’t rolling around. This also kept me organized. I could easily see what I still needed to glue and what had already been done.

Magnetic Tin Can Robot to Keep Kids Entertained

I created a heart person on top of the can as my own little magnetic robot project. It’s okay to have some childlike fun every once in a while. Right?

I hadn’t realized how many random things I had grabbed until I ran out of the entire pack of 52 small magnets!

I considered putting all of the pieces in a container but then remembered cookie sheets are magnetic. Perfect for keeping all of the magnets in one convenient location!

cookies sheets are magnetic and perfect for a prep area for these tin can robots

Let the Kids Create Their Tin Can Robots!

Then, it was time to let the kids create. They really enjoyed the wide assortment of robot parts.

They made multiple tin can robot creations.

easy magnetic tin can robot for kids

And these robots, too!

Magnetic Tin Can Robot to Keep Kids Entertained
Magnetic Tin Can Robot to Keep Kids Entertained

They continued playing with them at the counter while I prepared dinner. So simple and entertaining!

For more fun with tin cans, check out these 27 Tin Can Crafts & Activities For Kids!

These Tin Can Robots Can Even Sneak in Some Learning

My daughters discovered the bottle caps, nuts, bolts, and washers are also magnetic. So, one of them stuck some of the magnets on to the other magnetic pieces to add an extra layer of parts.

This is a great way to sneak in some additional learning. What else is magnetic?

easy magnetic tin can robot for kids

What is your go-to activity to keep kids entertained while you are busy?

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires