Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

1- Nature Suncatcher Garlands for Skip to My Lou

Click here to read 1- Nature Suncatcher Garlands for Skip to My Lou on Hands On As We Grow®


Hello Skip to My Lou fans! I’m Jamie, the mom behind hands on : as we grow where I share fun activities, crafts and art projects I do with my three boys.

I am so excited to be here and to share  this fun wind chime crate to be a part of the Fun Crafts for Summer series here!

This is a fun wind chime the kids can make that was inspired by our fun tin can wind chimes, mixed with our nature suncatchers. Yep! These double as gorgeous suncatchers too!

To make these nature wind chime suncatchers, you’ll need:

  • Contact paper
  • Scissors
  • Marker or pen
  • Items from Nature
  • String [we used ____ but yarn works too]

This activity is fun because the kids get to start by exploring in the backyard.

We just went around the yard finding pretty colors of flowers and interesting leaves. We tried to keep everything small in size, but didn’t limit to just that.

You could definitely make this part an entire activity in itself and do a scavenger hunt for certain colors, textures, or shapes. We always love a good scavenger hunt, and nature ones are classic!

nature-texture

Once you’ve collected your nature goodies [you don’t need a lot, they go a long way!], its time to set up to make a collage of it all.

Cut a small piece of contact paper and trace the mason jar rings onto the contact paper side [not the part you peel off]. Trace as many as you have rings for.

Then peel the backing off the contact paper and tap onto the surface, sticky side up.

suncatcher-prep

This is where the kids get to be as creative as they’d like!

Hand over the stash of nature items they found and let them fill in those circles.

We found it very cool to peel apart the flowers if they were big. To have a petal instead of a whole flower. Or if the flower was closed up or bell shaped, we peeled it open to fan it out. They made for some gorgeous suncatchers!

nature-suncatcher-paper

Once their collages were complete, we finished off the suncatcher with another piece of contact paper over top.

Press them as flat as you can. Sticking it wherever you can.

smash-contact-paper-nature

Such pretty suncatchers already!

nature-suncatcher-ready

Then we cut them out. Along the circles we traced.

Henry, my oldest who is 6, cut his himself. I went back over them to cut them a tad bit smaller though.

We traced the outside of the mason jar ring, so to fit in the ring, they had to be slightly smaller.

Then I tied a knot around the rings using the string we had on hand.

And simple pushed the suncatcher circles into the ring. We didn’t need to tape them, they stayed securely in place. But I can see where you may need to.

I also tied the strings onto a stick to make them into a wind chime that we hung on our porch. Two actually, and I love looking at them!

nature-suncatcher-garland

I love the simplicity of the raw mason jar rings. But I also think it would be fun to spray paint them to give them color, too.

However, I plan to use the lids again at some point for my jars, so I didn’t want to ‘ruin’ them at this time.

suncatcher-garland-nature

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires