Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Our 5 Simple Family Christmas Traditions + Yours

Click here to read Our 5 Simple Family Christmas Traditions + Yours on Hands On As We Grow®


I know. I know. You don’t need anything more to do this Christmas! Especially not another family Christmas tradition to put into place. Just wait… These are simple ones, ones I bet you’re already doing.

What do you do every year? What are your family Christmas traditions?

December is now upon us, Thanksgiving is behind us, and now it is holiday season in full swing.

I often try to start new traditions, and never uphold them from year to year. This year I started thinking about what we actually do every single year. And while it’s not glamorous and over the top, it works for us and the kids look forward to it every year.

Maybe it’s the simplicity of it that I love.

My husband recently told me his thoughts about traditions. What’s the point of them if you feel stressed out keeping them up? I thought about that and it really makes sense. Why would I want to keep doing something over and over again if I just feel bad when I’m doing it?

Simplicity really works, especially with the holidays.

How do you celebrate during the holidays? Do you get all dolled up and sparkly? Or do you keep it low key and comfortable?

This is how we celebrate… very low key. Very comfortable.

These are our family Christmas traditions that we do every year.

I encourage you to share yours in the comments too. But I also encourage you to keep it simple and make sure you love the traditions you do every year. Don’t make this season harder than it already is with everything that’s going on.

Countdown to Christmas

Beginning December 1st for the 25 days to Christmas, we do a Christmas countdown in some form or fashion. Last year, it was a Christmas Countdown Chain. We also have a felt Christmas tree that we put one ornament on every day until we get to the top and add the star on Christmas Day.

Christmas Crafts

We don’t go overboard with crafts for the holidays, because I tend to stress out if I have big plans and try to follow through. My goal every year is to do a holiday craft with the kids at some point in December. That’s about it. We’ve always managed at least one, if not several if our moods allow. Ideas: 25 easy Christmas crafts for kids

A simple family Christmas tradition - making Christmas crafts

Candy Making

This is a tradition from my childhood. And we still do it with my mom. Usually it’s the Saturday after my birthday (on the 4th, you bet it’s today, and yes, I’m expecting you to email me and say Happy Birthday!). We make all sorts of chocolate candies, including peanut butter cups, Oreo balls (what we call Reindeer Poop), Mints, and a Norwegian tradition, Krumkake, just to name a few.

Some simple family Christmas traditions to try - baking candies with the kids

Decorating for Christmas

Of course we decorate for Christmas! We turn the Christmas music on and get in the spirit of Christmas the first week of December and decorate the Christmas tree with lights and ornaments, including some homemade ornaments we’ve made each year. Idea: Decorate the kids rooms too!

A famiy Christmas tradition to try -- Decorate the Kids room for Christmas

Christmas Charlie Brown

We always, always, always watch A Charlie Brown Christmas, as well as play the Linus & Lucy song on our player piano. We watch other Christmas movies as well, but this one’s a given. We watch it every single year, and usually every week in the week’s leading up to Christmas, and after. Idea: Turn a movie into a scavenger hunt!

Of course we also have the family Christmases on Christmas Eve and Day and the days after.

As you can see, we’re pretty laid back during the holiday season. We continue with the messiness of crafts and activities as usual through the holiday season.

My husband and I are both self-employed. We don’t have any holiday work parties to attend and get all dolled up for. We’re always found in our casual clothes so that it’s okay to get messy and lounge around.

But it is fun to dress up for the family Christmases!

10 family Christmas traditions other families are doing:

What family Christmas traditions do you have? How do you dress up for the holidays?

Bonus! Share what you think: Is it better to give or to receive?

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires